Hadeland Lag Logo

 Home      Member Center    Officers

 Lag History   Kontaktforum   Resources

  About Hadeland   Links   Inquiry Board

   Site Index   Search   Shop   Archive

About Norway Geography of Hadeland History of Hadeland Churches of Hadeland Interesting Places in Hadeland Downloads


Interesting Places in Hadeland


Gran Jevnaker Lunner
Gran Jevnaker Lunner
Check out these Postcards from Hadeland




Gran's Sister Churches

In the Middle Ages it was not unusual for churches to be built side by side and used for different purposes. The Sister Churches at Granavollen are the only twin churches left in Norway today.


Nicolai Church, located at the ancient crossroads of Granavollen, was named for Archbishop Nicolaus of Bari, protector of travelers and children. The church dates to the mid-1100's; an 1151 AD  bill still kept in the Vatican mentions Nicolai Church. It is the more imposing of the sister churches.  A major restoration project that was completed in 1960 restored the choir to its original smaller size and half-circle shape.  The 1728 pulpit was rebuilt and returned to its place, along with an altarpiece from 1625. Nicolai is used as the parish church. 


Maria Church is the less ornate "older sister." Named for the Virgin Mary, she dates from around 1100. There are slices and joints in the masonry that indicate it has been altered many times.  A fire devastated the church in 1813 and it stood in ruins until 1865 when the roof was replaced.  Until 1978, the interior of Maria Church was used first for storage and later as a funeral chapel.  Services are now held in the church each summer.


   More About the Churches



The Stone House is located near the Sister Churches, and its architecture is typical of houses built during the Middle Ages.  

It was built near the end of the 13th century, probably with stone left over during rebuilding or renovating of the churches.  It was probably used as a guesthouse for visiting church officials prior to the Reformation.

The house is representative of the architecture of the Middle Ages and contains a single large room on each of its three floors. 

                   The Stone House was likely built for use by medieval church officials



Kistefos Museum

and Sculpture Park

Kistefos pulp mill is  the last of the turn of the 20th century pulp mills in Norway that contains its original equipment.  It is now a museum located on the river Randselva.  Its grounds have been transformed into a sculpture park and each summer there is a special art exhibition there.

Sculpture at Kistefos - courtesy Lag Member Diane Resvick


Roenland Gallery, on the shores of the Randsfjord in Slovika, is one of the largest privately owned art galleries in Norway and the only one associated with the Norwegian Sculptor Association.  It is surrounded by a five and a half acre park and sculpture garden. Open every month but January, it offers both permanent and changing Norwegian art and craft exhibits. The main building, shown on the right, dates from 1882.  The property includes other historic buildings as well. 


         Galleri Roenland

       Roenland Art Gallery



Grinaker Weavery

The Grinaker Weavery is located in Grinaker farm's beautiful old buildings, dating to the beginning of the 1800's.  It has become very well known for its unique carpets, wall hangings, tablecloths and furniture fabrics.  They employ 9-10 full time weavers and have about 35 looms of various types, which makes it possible to weave patterns requiring complicated techniques. 



Hadeland Mining & Minerals Museum

Hadeland Bergverksmuseum

(Mining & Minerals)


The Hadeland Mining Museum is located in Lunner on the first floor of Grua station.  Work is in progress to insure the safety of visitors who will eventually be able to visit nearby mining sites: a 16th century iron mine, chalk pit, lime kilns, etc.


Hadeland Glassworks

Hadeland Glassworks


Hadeland Glassworks was founded in 1762 on land belonging to the Mo farm. Initially production consisted mainly of bottles, chemists’ jars, medicine bottles and items of household glass. In 1852 Ole Chr. Berg took charge of the glass works, and introduced production of lead crystal pieces, including wine glasses, bowls, dishes and vases. During the 1800s the glassworks mainly copied designs from other European countries, but in the 1920s it began developing its own designs.


Some of its world famous glassware is still made using the founders' original 240 year old methods.  The Glassworks also hosts Northern Europe's largest glass museum.





Hadeland Folk Museum

The gates to Hadeland Folk Museum

Hadeland Folk Museum is an open-air museum located a short distance from Gran at Tinglestad hogda. 

It is built around a Viking era burial mound which tradition says holds the torso of King Halvdan the Black. 25 historic buildings, many dating from the 1700's, have been moved to the site. Its greatest treasures are Tingelstad church and Tingelstad farm.  

The museum's collections of over 10,000 artifacts trace the cultural history of Hadeland and it serves as the repository for an extensive historical archive .  The regional museum for the Gran, Jevnaker and Lunner municipalities, it is open daily from June through August. 

More photos of the Museum


Tingelstad Kirke

St. Petrikirke sits atop a hill with a commanding view of the surrounding countryside

Tingelstad (St Peter's) Church was built in the first half of the 12th century and was used for worship until 1866. By the late 1800's the church was in severe disrepair and the community considered using its stones for building basements!  

Luckily, this treasure was saved and renovated. The stone walls are 2 meters thick. Its small narrow windows resemble archery slits.  The stone altar dates to the Middle Ages. 

During renovation in 1961, an inscription from Catholic times was uncovered in the sacristy.  "Strengthen it, God, as you have in us, from your Holy Temple in Jerusalem." (Psalm 68:29-30)

More About the Church



Copyright © 2002-2021
Hadeland Lag of America.  All rights reserved.

Terms of Use 

Privacy Policy    Contact Us

Last update: February 08, 2021